Kiss Insomnia Goodnight and Goodbye: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Insomnia (ACT-I) Workshop
Wednesday 3rd May 2017 at BPS Offices, Tabernacle Street, London
Unfortunately we have had to take the difficult decision to cancel this event, Sometimes, despite our best efforts events do not meet the minimum number required to make them viable. We try to avoid cancelling or postponing events wherever possible but on very rare occasions must do so.
The workshop will involve a mixture of both discussion and experiential practice of using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy approaches for the non-drug treatment of chronic insomnia including acceptance, mindfulness, defusion, self in context, values and committed action.
Additional factors to be discussed during the workshop:
- Introduction to insomnia including common risk factors, triggers and amplifying behaviours
- Insomnia assessment - ISI, PSQI, sleep diaries, AAQ
- Sleep physiology - cycles, stages, timing and drive
- Differences between ACT-I and CBT-I
- Typical patterns of experiential avoidance and how they fuel chronic insomnia
- The role of acceptance in managing avoidance
- Why thought and emotion blocking and distraction techniques don't work
- How cognitive defusion can help to change the function of thoughts and emotions
- How regular mindfulness practice can help to overcome insomnia
- Why it is common for people to stop living their lives in the face of insomnia
- How identifying and acting upon values can plays an important role in overcoming insomnia.
- Clear understanding of the differences between CBT-I and ACT-I
- A new approach for managing chronic insomnia
- A set of helpful tools to take away and use with insomniac patients
If you have any queries please contact us via the event hotline on 01332 224506.